It's so exciting hearing someone you know is having a baby, but it can be hard to know what to buy them. The choices are endless and it can be a little overwhelming trawling through pages of products.
Since becoming parents we have changed the way we buy for friends and family when they are expecting. We like to buy something that is going to be useful, ethically made but still a little cool. This is why we have compiled a list of our top 10 favourite newborn essentials;
- Nobodinoz Butteryfly Organic Muslin Swaddle – Muslins are always number one on my list when I’m buying for newborns. As a new mum you need a muslin on hand at all times! These beautifully soft, GOTS certified muslins come in Bloom Pink, Farniente Yellow & Night Blue. They are generous in size, so can be used as a swaddle or simply for wiping & burping!
- Fresk Organic Bib & Burp set – You can’t go wrong with buying bibs for newborn babies! It’s always better to have more than you need & if they look great too, that’s a bonus! These delightful sets are made from fine organic cotton & feature woodland animals in a muted colour palette, so will compliment any newborn outfit!
- Konges Slojd Organic Pointelle Deux Blanket– Knitted blankets are a useful gift all year round – keeping them warm when its cold & cool when its hot. This range of blankets, made from 100% cotton, are large enough to be used as a swaddle, playmat or to cover up in the pram.
- Wee Gallery Organic Reversible Quilted Playmat – Playmats are an item I didn’t realise the value of until I became a parent. Being able to lay your baby somewhere & know they are safe, & also be able to move it around the house is exactly what you need in those early months! Wee gallery make amazing monochrome products, which are designed to stimulate your baby’s senses. This playmat is made from organic cotton, is machine washable & is also reversible! Perfect!
- Plan Toys Wooden Baby Gym – The perfect addition to any playmat, this modern ‘space’ themed playgym is ideal for a newborn & growing with them through to tummy time. Made with sustainable rubberwood & pastel eco paints, this playgym will be a hit with style conscious parents, as well as featuring 2 detachable toys which are perfect for teething babies.
- Sophie The Giraffe 'So Pure' Comforter & Teether Set – Parents will thank you for buying any teething toys, as they are going to come in handy for a long time, & its great to have a little collection! Sophie The Giraffe is a well-loved teething brand, & both items in this set are made from 100% natural rubber.
- Ergobaby Aura Baby Wrap – This gorgeous wrap is a perfect solution for mum or dad carrying the baby, & a really thoughtful gift. The Aura wrap comes is a range of beautiful colours including wine & pearl grey, are easy to use, machine washable & gives that precious close time with the newborn & parent.
- Plan Toys Ring Rattle – I always like to bring a little gift when visiting a newborn & this rattle is just the thing. Small enough to fit in a baby’s hand, beautiful pastel beads to rattle & stimulate the baby’s senses, & made from sustainable rubberwood. This will entertain the baby throughout the early developmental stages as well as being teething friendly!
- Atelier Angus Fabric Dove Musical Mobile – This would make an exceptional gift for a special newborn in your life. This dove mobile is handmade in France, made from 100% cotton with hand painted features & a ring pull for playing music. This stunning Dove wall hanging could be hung above a cot or on a wall/shelf in the nursery.
- Wee Gallery Organic Sensory Ball – Another mention for Wee Gallery but their products are simply perfect for newborns. This sensory clutch ball, made from 100% cotton, can be used in a range of play from 3 months+ & the monochrome colour & shape will delight the baby's senses, not to mention it would look great on a shelf in the baby's room!